This guide will help staff in care services to complete the free elearning course on data protection, developed by Better Security, Better Care. Please read this guide before starting the course.
Care workers, receptionists, administrators and managers deal with people’s information and data all the time. That includes information about the people you care for, their families and visitors, and your colleagues. It is essential that you keep information safe and only share it with the people who really need it.
But data protection can be complicated. Our Data Security and Protection eLearning course will help you to understand your responsibilities.
It’s been developed by the Better Security, Better Care programme – which is the national programme helping care providers to understand how to keep data safe. The course supports your continuing professional development (CPD).
- Set aside at least 20 minutes to get started and complete the first module.
- Make sure you have access to the internet. You should be able to use your own or your employer’s mobile phone, tablet, laptop or computer to complete the course. Talk to your manager or training lead about access to staff equipment.
- Visit digitalcarehub.co.uk/elearning and decide which module you want to start. You don’t have to register or log in to use it. (If your organisation has its own Learning Management System, they may have loaded this course onto their own system. Contact your manager or training lead to find out if that is how you should access the course.)
- Work your way through the modules. There are four in total and they take about 10-20 minutes to complete. You might want to spread the course out over a few days.
- Complete the assessment when you’ve worked you way through all the modules. It’s just 20 multiple choice questions based on all four modules.
- If you get at least 80% of the questions right, you can get a certificate.
- If you score less than 80%, then you can repeat the assessment again.
- To get your certificate, enter your name and the date you completed the assessment. You can then download and save a PDF of your certificate. You should send this to your manager, trainer or whoever instructed you to complete the course.
- Complete the assessment at least once every 12 months to show your employer that you are retaining your knowledge about data protection. You can rewatch the modules any time.
- If you are using a shared computer or other shared device, close down the web pages to make sure the next person using the computer does not have access to your answers.
Click on the sections below to find out more about the course and how to complete it.
If you’re ready to start the course, visit www.digitalcarehub.co.uk/elearning.